Alsahwa Net- The United Nations (UN) said on Tuesday that it has decreased the number of its workers in Aden, south Yemen following seizure of the city by the Emirati-backed pro-separation forces last Saturday.
“We are decreasing our staff numbers in Aden until we can determine that we can safely perform all our tasks once more,” UN deputy spokesman, Farhan Haq was quoted by international news outlets on Tuesday.
The city witnessed four-day fighting between the pro-government forces and the Emirati-backed Southern Transitional Council (STC) that demands separation of south Yemen from the north.
In the same respect, the UN said on Monday that early reports indicated the fighting in Aden killed 40 civilians and injured 260 others.
It explained that the fighting happened in “densely populated civilian neighborhoods, with bullets and mortars, injuring and killing civilians sheltering in homes or trying to pass through the streets.”
Residential areas that were affected by the bloody clashes included the Crater, Mualla, Dar Saad, and Khormaksar areas of central Aden, as well as areas in Bureika, where the Saudi-led coalition controls a military base, the UN said.
It indicated that while Aden saw sporadic fighting between the STC armed forces and the pro-government forces t over the past few years, the latest clashes were the most violent and spread to parts of the city that were previously unaffected.
It warned that the fighting could resume at any time in Aden despite its pausing following takeover of the city by the pro-separation forces.